Easy Southern Fried Cabbage recipe, with complete step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions on Taste of Southern.com.
- 1 small Cabbage
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Bacon Grease, optional.
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Sugar
- Remove the first outer layer of leaves from the cabbage and discard.
- Rinse the head of cabbage well under cold running water.
- Carefully slice the cabbage in half, then into quarters.
- Slice each quarter again, the long way, then cut each wedge into bite sized pieces.
- Place your skillet over Medium heat on your stove top.
- Add the butter.
- Add the bacon grease.
- Add the cabbage.
- Stir the cabbage as it cooks down to fully coat the pieces in the butter.
- Add the salt.
- Add the black pepper.
- Add the sugar.
- Continue to stir and cook, uncovered, until the cabbage is tender.
- Serve while warm, topped with bacon bits if you desire.
Some folks like to add onions. Its your choice of course. Others also like to add chicken broth but that’s more of a steamed cabbage to me. I like to keep it simple with just cabbage, butter and the seasonings.
Keywords: Southern Fried Cabbage Recipe, made from scratch, homemade, old fashioned, bacon, butter, southern recipes