We’re cooking up Salisbury Steak with Onions and Gravy. It’s one of those traditional Southern comfort food items you’ll find on the menu at Mom and Pop style restaurants and diners throughout the South. Fresh ground beef, caramelized onions and a rich brown gravy make this one more delicious item to serve to your family and friends.
- 1 pound of Ground Round Beef
- 1/2 teaspoon of Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 whole Egg
- 1/4 cup of dry Bread Crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons of Butter
- 1 large Onion, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons of Flour
- 2 cups of Water
- 2 teaspoons of Beef Bouillon Granules
- In a mixing bowl, combine the Beef, Black Pepper, Salt, Garlic Powder, Worcestershire Sauce, Bread Crumbs and one whole Egg. Stir mixture together well.
- Shape into 4 equal sized patties.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat for about a minute, and then add Butter.
- Place meat patties in skillet and brown on both sides for about 4-5 minutes each. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add the sliced Onion into the skillet, right on top of the browned bits.
- Reduce the heat and cook the onions on medium-low heat until the onions turn translucent and brown. Don’t rush this step. Cook the onions low and slow for about 20-25 minutes.
- Sprinkle 2 Tablespoons of flour over the onions. Stir. Let cook and brown for about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of warm Water. Stir well. Raise the heat back up to about medium.
- Add 2 teaspoons of Beef Bouillon Granules. Stir Well.
- Place the meat patties back in the pan. Cover. Reduce heat just a little and let simmer for about 15 more minutes. Remove from heat and serve warm.
You could certainly use a beef broth as opposed to the granules. Just omit adding the water and granules to the cooked onions and add beef broth instead.
Keywords: Salisbury Steak Recipe, made from scratch, homemade, southern recipes, onions and gravy, pan gravy