Pan Fried Okra without breading is an easy way to enjoy fresh okra. A little bacon grease added to your cooking oil will increase the flavor.
- 1 lb Fresh Okra
- 1 Tablespoon Bacon Grease for seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- Rinse the okra pods gently under cold running water, or wipe each with a damp paper towel.
- Remove both ends from the okra pods. Discard the ends.
- Slice each pod into pieces about 1 inch in length.
- Place a skillet over Medium heat on your stove top.
- When the pan is hot, add enough oil to coat bottom of pan.
- Add the bacon grease.
- Let the oil get hot, almost to the smoking point.
- Add the cut okra.
- Turn the okra often as it cooks to let it brown slightly.
- Add the black pepper.
- When okra is lightly browned, remove from pan, place on paper towel to drain.
- Add the salt to taste.
If you’re cooking more than one batch, keep the cooked okra warm in a 200F degree oven while frying the second batch. Serve warm with some Hot Water Cornbread on the side.
Keywords: Pan Fried Okra, Fried Okra without Breading, Old fashioned okra