Quick and easy Hot Water Cornbread, takes just a few minutes to make. Serve it warm for best results.
- ¾ cup Yellow Corn Meal –self rising
- ¼ cup Self Rising Flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Hot water as needed, about one cup.
- Place the cornmeal in a small mixing bowl.
- Add the flour.
- Add the salt.
- Use a fork to mix the dry ingredients together.
- Gradually stir in enough hot water to make a thin batter.
- Let the batter rest while you heat up your skillet.
- Place a skillet over Medium heat on your stove top.
- Add enough oil to slightly coat the bottom of the pan.
- Use a ¼ cup measuring scoop to add batter to the hot oil.
- Do not crowd the pan.
- Watch for the bottom edges to turn brown, and for bubbles to appear in the batter.
- When the top begins to dry, flip the cornbread over.
- Let it cook for 2-3 minutes per side until done.
- Remove from pan and place on folded paper towels to drain.
- Serve warm.
This recipe can be easily doubled if you need more. Some folks use only cornmeal, omitting the flour. It’s a matter of choice. Try it both ways to see which you prefer best.
Keywords: Hot Water Cornbread, cornbread, southern cornbread, old fashioned cornbread