Follow these easy, step-by-step, photo instructions for making our Beef Tips with Rice and Gravy Recipe. A longtime Southern favorite, Beef Tips with Rice and Gravy is just comfort food at its best. Mom and Pop restaurants throughout the South feature this on their menus and now you can enjoy the same great flavors in your home kitchen. Quick and easy to prepare, we’ll show you how, step-by-step.
- 1lb Sirloin Tip, Stew Meat or Round Steak, cut into bite size pieces
- 3 cups Beef Broth
- 1 Onion, medium sized, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Bacon grease, butter or vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2-3 cups of prepared Rice
- Cut beef into about one inch cubes.
- Place a medium sized sauce pot on medium heat.
- Add bacon grease or cooking oil.
- Add beef.
- Add onions.
- Stir the meat and onions until the meat is lightly brown.
- Add beef broth and bring to a rolling boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 hour or until beef is tender.
- In a small bowl, mix Cornstarch with cold water, stir well.
- Slowly add the cornstarch to the beef and broth, stirring constantly.
- Simmer another 10 minutes or until gravy has thickened.
Prepare the Rice:
- Place rice in a medium size sauce pot.
- Run cool water in the pot, swirling the rice around until the water runs fairly clear.
- Drain off the water.
- Add needed amount of cold water back into the pot.
- Place pot over medium-high heat and bring to a rolling boil. Cook for about 2 minutes then, reduce heat. Let rice continue to simmer on medium-low heat until most of the water has been absorbed.
- Watch for small pockets to appear in the rice. Do not stir but watch it carefully.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid and remove from heat.
- Let the rice rest, covered, for about 10 more minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork prior to serving.
- Place a portion of rice on each plate, add a serving of the Beef Tips and Gravy. Enjoy!
You can use a lot of different types of beef to make this recipe. Everything from stew meat up to ribeye steak will probably work. Its really a great way to use up some of the less tender cuts of beef that you often find on sale.
Keywords: Beef Tips with Rice and Gravy Recipe, made from scratch, old fashioned, home made, beef tips, southern recipes